Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.
VA » Health Care » VA Caregiver Support Program » Support Services » Bereavement
VA Caregiver Support Program
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) offers services to support the spouse, children, or family caregiver of a deceased Veteran or service member. You may qualify for the following services. Visit this website for a complete list of benefits: https://www.va.gov/health-care/family-caregiver-benefits/.
- Bereavement Resources for Spouses, Children, and Family Caregivers of Deceased Veterans or Service Members (PDF)
- Bereavement counseling - https://www.va.gov/burials-memorials/bereavement-counseling/
- How to apply for a Veterans burial allowance - https://www.va.gov/burials-memorials/veterans-burial-allowance/
- VA dependency and indemnity compensation (DIC) - https://www.va.gov/disability/dependency-indemnity-compensation/
- Scheduling a burial - https://www.va.gov/burials-memorials/schedule-a-burial/
- Surviving spouse of or a child of a Veteran with disabilities or a Veteran who has died may be able to get health insurance through the Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs (CHAMPVA).
- If you’re the family member of an active duty, retired, or deceased service member, National Guard soldier, Reservist, or Medal of Honor recipient, you may qualify for the TRICARE program*.
- Military funeral honors and the committal service - https://www.va.gov/burials-memorials/what-to-expect-at-military-funeral/
- VA Survivors Pension - https://www.va.gov/pension/survivors-pension/
- Experiencing Grief or Loss - https://www.va.gov/REACH/challenge/experiencing-grief-or-loss/
Call VA’s Caregiver Support Line (CSL) at 1-855-260-3274 to learn more about the support that is available to you, and for assistance connecting with the Caregiver Support Team, at your local VA Medical Center.
VA CSL Expanded hours:
-Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. ET
-Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET
Subscribe to receive email updates and information about VA Caregiver Support Program services.
Disclaimer: *Links will take you outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs Website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked websites.