VA Caregiver Support Program
Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers (PCAFC)
Extension PCAFC Legacy Participants/Legacy Applicants
VA announced that it is extending the amount of time that Legacy Participants, Legacy Applicants and their Family Caregivers within the Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family (PCAFC) will remain eligible for the Program. This will include all services, supports and benefits for another three full years. More information can be found here (press release, Interim Final Rule)
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers (PCAFC) offers enhanced clinical support for Family Caregivers of eligible Veterans.
Veterans may be eligible for this clinical program if they:
Sustained or aggravated a serious injury (or illness) in the line of duty in the active military, naval or air service during any service era. Among other applicable eligibility criteria, an eligible Veteran must:
- Have a single or combined service-connected disability rating by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) of 70% or more, and
- Be in need of personal care services (requiring in-person personal care services) for a minimum of six continuous months based on any one of the following:
- An inability to perform an activity of daily living.
- A need for supervision or protection based on symptoms or residuals of neurological or other impairment or injury; or
- A need for regular or extensive instruction or supervision without which the ability of the Veteran to function in daily life, would be seriously impaired.
For more information on these changes, please see the Fact Sheets below.
How do I apply for this program?
- Apply Online: VA Online Application (Equal to VA Form 10-10CG)
- Download and print the application here: VA Form 10-10CG (PDF). Mail the form and any supporting documents to:
- Your local VAMS CSP Team. Use the CSP Team Locator Tool.
- Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers
Health Eligibility Center
2957 Clairmont Road NE, Suite 200
Atlanta, GA 30329-1647
- In Person: Bring your completed VA Form 10-10CG to your local VA facility’s CSP Team. To find your local CSP Team, you can:
- Use the CSP Team Locator Tool, or
- Contact the Caregiver Support Line at 855-260-3274
Do not send medical records along with the application. VA will follow up after the application is received. If you need assistance with completing the application or would like to check the status of your 1010CG application please call 1-855-488-8440, option 3.
What services does this program offer?
Veterans can designate one (1) Primary Family Caregiver and up to two (2) Secondary Family Caregivers on the application. Secondary Family Caregivers serve as a backup support to the Primary Family Caregiver when needed. Services will depend on whether you are the Primary Family Caregiver or a Secondary Family Caregiver.
If you are the primary caregiver, you may receive:
- A monthly stipend (paid directly to you as the caregiver.)
- Access to health care insurance through Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs (CHAMPVA), if you do not already have health insurance.
- Mental health counseling.
- Certain beneficiary travel benefits when traveling with the Veteran to appointments. For specific details, please contact your CSP Team.
- At least 30 days of respite care per year, for the Veteran. Respite is short term relief for someone else to care for the Veteran while you take a break.
If you are the secondary caregiver, you may receive:
- Mental health counseling.
- Certain beneficiary travel benefits when traveling with the Veteran to appointments. For specific details, please contact your local CSP Team.
Be sure to check www.caregiver.va.gov for updates or subscribe to receive email updates and information about VA Caregiver Support Program services.
More Information about the program
PCAFC expansion Fact Sheets. (English)
- Caregivers PCAFC - Application Process Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Caregivers PCAFC - Eligibility Criteria Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Caregivers PCAFC - Monthly Stipend Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Caregivers PCAFC - CHAMPVA Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Caregivers PCAFC - Revocation and Discharge Fact Sheet (PDF)
Stipend Direct Deposit Enrollment Guide
PCAFC Roles, Responsibilities, and Requirements Fact Sheet. (English)
PCAFC Revocation and Discharge Fact Sheet. (English)
VA/DOD Expanding Access to Military Commissaries
Hojas de datos de expansión de PCAFC. (Spanish)
- Hoja de datos del proceso de solicitud - future (PDF)
- Hoja informativa PCAFC - CHAMPVA para cuidadores (PDF)
- Cuidadores PCAFC - Hoja de datos de revocación y alta (PDF)
- Cuidadores PCAFC - Hoja informativa de roles, responsabilidades y requisitos (PDF)
Mga Kadahilanan sa Pagpapalawak ng PCAFC. (Tagalog)
- Mga Tagapangalaga ng PCAFC - Sheet ng Fact ng Proseso ng Application - future (PDF)
- Mga Caregiver PCAFC - Fact Sheet ng Pagbawi at Paglabas (PDF)
- Mga Caregiver PCAFC - CHAMPVA Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Mga Tagapag-alaga PCAFC - Mga Tungkulin, Responsibilidad, at Mga Kinakailangan na Fact Sheet (PDF)
Options for Veterans and Caregivers who Disagree with a PCAFC Decision
If you disagree, in whole or in part, with a decision under the Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers (PCAFC), there are options for you to appeal or request a Veterans Health Administration (VHA) review the decision.